Urban Mermaid Designs

Thursday 20 April 2017

Handmade Easter Egg Box

   

I have always wanted to have a go at altering a polystyrene egg with decoupage, so I decided to give it a go for Easter. This is how the egg started out!
In the past I have had trouble with glues and media dissolving polystyrene objects, so I watched a few tutorials on Youtube first to make sure I was using the right ones.
My method below is a mix of those and I am sure you will find your own way. The basic rule seems to be any water-based media is fine, e.g. Modge Podge and Acrylic Paints.
I used some damask paper napkins as my base layer. You just use the top layer of the napkin, tear it into pieces and then stick to the egg with Mod Podge.

The result was pretty, but too much of the polystrene was showing through. I used a selection of spray misters to colour the egg building up layers until the desired colour was achieved.
To add further interest and a vintage feel I stamped the surface with a script stamp (Marianne - Anja's Text).

I then added a few layers of Ranger Crackle Accents and once dry I used a gilding wax to bring out the cracked details to make it look more like the shell of an egg.

I lined the base with some cream netting and used Prima Opal Magic Rose Gold paint to gild the inside edges.
 
Next came the fun part- decorating the egg. 

I created matching flowers and leaves using mainly Prima flowers and some brads. I stamped a few of the leaves and tinted the petals where needed.


I attached a lace ribbon trim all around the edge of the egg lid, but overlapping, so that it would hide the join.
I also added some netted ribbon and a woven ribbon bow to the back of the egg.










*Emerald Creek - Double Duty - Top 3 Honours
*Happy Little Stampers - Mixed media with Sprays: Favourite
Supplies:
Large Polystyrene Egg Box (Wilkos)
Lace Ribbon
Ranger Crackle Accents
Gilding Wax
Netting
Prima Opal Magic Rose Gold Paint
Ink Sprays : Cosmic Shimmer - Frosty Mink, Prima Bloom - Worn Leather, Lindy's Opal Sea Oats
Prima Flowers & Leaves
Large Script Stamp - Marianne's Anja's Text
Versafine Ink - Sepia
Brads
Mod Podge - Matt
Glue Gun

Challenges:
Craft Heaven - Flowers ends 10/5
Creatalicious AG #113 29/4

8 comments:

Virginia L. said...

So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Showers and/or Flowers” Challenge! Awesome details and design! Super work!

sarascloset said...

Oh, my goodness! Your decorated egg is AMAZING! I love the crackle finish (duh, why didn't I think of that???!) and the neutral palette! And it's functional! I've never seen an egg that opens like that. Thank you for sharing it with us in our Double Duty Dare at Emerald Creek Dares. Hugs!

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Creatalicious, good luck!!! Amy DT

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

how very beautiful, something your family can treasure for many years
thank you for joining us at Happy Little Stampers
Barb Housner (DT)

Judy McKay said...

Stunning altered Easter Egg. Pretty design. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artist this month. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT

Lori Kobular said...

Your Easter Egg box is gorgeous! I love all the details you have on it! Thanks for sharing with us at Joy Clair Challenges!

Linda said...

WOW! This looks amazing. Thank you for playing along with the Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge xx

Melanie said...

A wonderful project!
Thank you soo much for taking part in our "anything goes with optional birthday” challenge over at Creatalicious & good luck in the draw.
Hope to see you again in our new challenge as well…

Hugs,
Melanie
(DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)

(DT Crafty Friends)

(DT The Sketchy Challenges)


PS: Sorry for the late comment, life had been very busy the past couple of weeks…